The structure originally built on this site in the early 1900s was used as a cafe and, for a short time, a place to show silent movies. In 1938 it was rebuilt and converted to a conventional theater, complete with “silver screen,” curtain-covered stage, ticket booth, and theater marquee.
The theater was also used for various civic activities such as public meetings and high school graduation exercises (until 1960). The first meeting of the newly incorporated city of Blanco was held here in 1938.
The Uptown Blanco Theater will feature classic performing arts as well as local theater. The theater will be an outlet for many social and art functions such as talent contests, musicals, poetry, concerts, piano recitals or even an occasional film to name a few. Combined with Uptown Blanco Restaurant, patrons will be able to enjoy an evening dinner and theater or matinee. The theater will also be available for community and corporate events.